My Guild Ball journey

Any game not covered in the above topics.

My Guild Ball journey

Postby MudgeBlack » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:23 am

I decided to somewhat document my Guild ball union journey.

First game was very much a learning game (although so far it is a very easy to learn intuitive game) vs Eric's Alchemists (Eric was very patient and really took it easy on me).
Union: Blackheart, Gutter, Decimate, Minx, Mist, and Coin.
Alchemists: Midas, Mercury, Katylist, Vitriol, Compound, and Flask.
We called the game at 8:4 Union (one goal, 2 TO) but as I said Eric was taking it easy.
Alchemists can hand it some conditions! Very footballie and Midas is an asshole.

Second game, same match up with slightly different teams and the gloves came off for this one.
Union: Blackheart, Gutter, Snakeskin, Rage, Mist, and Coin
Alchemists: Midas, Decimate, Katylist, Vitriol, Compound, and Flask.
Had fun but got my ass handed to me for a hat (12:4 Alchemists, 3 goals vs 1 goal). Midas is a huge asshole :D scoring 2 goals and at one point snaring all but one of my players in a single action. Snakeskin is rather squishy and Rage is a hell of a damage dealer but tones down if he can't get the charge in. Coin managed to deal 6 damage in a single attack too.

Third game, new opponent, new team. Aaron and his hunters
Union: Blackheart, Gutter, Snakeskin, Rage, Mist, and Coin
Hunters: Theron, Egret, Jaecar, Seenah, Minx, and Fahad.
We called the game at 10:7 Hunters (5 TO vs 1 goal and 2 TO including the mascot). Hunters are very killy. Jaecar killed Snakeskin twice. Gutter, Rage, and Blackheart were my other casualties. The Bear Seenah is really Tanky and can hand out some damage. My highlight was Gutter getting off 3 scything blows in a row while having 5 opposing players in her melee range (45 damage total). Again Rage handed out some damage but not near as much when he can't charge.
Last edited by MudgeBlack on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damnant quod non intelegunt
MudgeBlack

Re: My Guild Ball journey

Postby MudgeBlack » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:04 am

Fourth game. Vs a new team and a new opponent. Devon and his Engineers.
Union: VRage, Coin, Gutter, Minx, Mist, and Fangtooth.
Engineers: Ballista, Rachet, Mainspring, Hoist., Velocity, and Colossus.
Got my ass handed to me again, 12-3 (2/2 - 0/2 including mascot).
Knock down was a major problem for me. It was rare that half my team want flattened. They had a more devastating ranged game than I have run across before and minefield was a big surprise. I tried out a more killy team which in retrospect was a bad choice, I didn't have the damage dealing (or just mishandled it) to finish off his constructs and I couldn't match his footballing. I think a Blackheart football team would have fared better but we will have to see. V Rage was good but I think I prefer Rage for overall play style. Fangtooth was fun and did some damage but I have a lot to learn about using him effectively. I think he did almost as much damage to my team as to the opposition. Only a one-two of Gutter followed by Fangtooth to soften up a group, then send in the scalpels (Minx/Rage) to finish off the wounded. All in all, even though I lost it was a fun game with a good opponent.
MudgeBlack

Postby MudgeBlack » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:25 pm

Game 5:. Blackheart, Coin, Harry, Minx, Mist, and Decimate
Vs Eric's Alchemists: Smoke, Flask, Vitriol, Calculus, Vet Katylist, and Compound.
Handed my ass for a hat again... 1/5 vs 0/1. I received, Harry collected and passed to Mist. Many AoEs later he lost the ball. Passed to Vitriol and score. Vet Kat managed to kill Blackheart and Coin and then blew up for a total of 5 for Eric and 2 for me. Eric then took out Decimate and while the ball was tied up Vet Kat returned to squash Minx for the final victory.
MudgeBlack

Postby MudgeBlack » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Games 6 & 7 in the tournament:

Union: Blackheart, Coin, Harry, Rage, Minx, and Mist

Vs Union: V Rage, Strongbox, Harry, Minx, Gutter, and A & G
Lost, final 2- 12

Vs Alchemists: Midas, Flask, Vitriol, Mercury, Katylist, and Compound
Lost, 5 - 12 (1/1 - 3/0)
I really hate Midas and Compound.

After that I ran a demo (yeah, me teaching GB, to figure) 3 V 3 Union V Masons
Blackheart, Rage, and Mist
Honor, Harmony, and Mallet
MudgeBlack

Postby MudgeBlack » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:55 pm

Had a small 3v3 game with Conor.
I played Brewers: Tapper, Hooper, & Friday
Masons: Honor, Harmony, & Mallet

Had a really fun game. Well matched. Brewers play very differently from my Union. Synergy is an entirely new concept.
MudgeBlack

Postby MudgeBlack » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:12 am

Last night, got in my first game with Hunters vs Fish (Tyson)
Hunters: Theron, Fahad, Seenah, Chaska, Jaecar, & Minx
Fish: Shark, Grayscales, Sakana, Jac, Angel, & Salt

Well, now I know what Fish do. They take the ball from you, stuff it down your throat, rinse & repeat.
It was a fun game. Went in more for TOs got 2, both Jac. Traps are pitfall are great for board control. Love Jaecar. Seenah did some damage but Tyson did a good job of hobbling her some. Almost got in a goal, Jaecar had the ball, just in threat range, only Fish near was Grayscales and he had been pinned by Theron, "I got this!", then GS used his 4" dodge and took the ball, UGH! Though only 11 Inf, I never really felt starved as I had 3 furious models and BotSF for an effective 20 Inf if it all lined up (which it did occasionally). All in all I had fun learning 2 new teams.
Fish won 12(3-0) vs Hunters 4(0-2).
MudgeBlack

Postby MudgeBlack » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:20 pm

10 th game. My son Grayson and I played a 3 v 3 demo
Me:. Mason's, Honor, Harmony, & Mallet
Gray: Brewers, Tapper, Hooper, & Friday
Brewer victory: 8 (2-0) v 6(1-1).
Major slugfest. Lots of knockdowns and tackles, ball all over the place. Good game, fun and a good look into another team.
MudgeBlack

Postby MudgeBlack » Fri May 05, 2017 9:44 am

Game #11
Played Hunters (with some proxies): Skatha, Snow, Ulfr, Jaecar, Chaska, and Seenah
vs
Alchemists (Eric): Midas, Naja, Vitriol, oKatylist, Harry the Hat, and Compound

This was mostly a test run to feel out the new Hunters. They are definitely more footballie but I think I could have filled out the team a little better. Trade the bear for Minx or even Egret.
Anyway, I feel the game was successful even though I got my ass handed to me. I just missed being able to pull off a turn one goal (just need to plan a little better) and held out for two turns without the 'chemists scoring. Turn three they changed that hammering in two goals (Vitriol and Midas) to my one take out (Kat) that turn. Mid turn 4 Eric drove in the final nail to put the Hunters in their coffin. Final Alchemist 12 (3-0) to Hunters 2 (0-1). Chaska and Jaecar were my stars beating down while Ulfr chased the ball. Need to work on using Skatha and Ulfr better. I felt very Influence starved with 11(Seenah hurts with her 0/2), need to do some reviewing of player choices. Good game and a lot of fun.
Thanks Eric.
MudgeBlack

Postby MudgeBlack » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:55 am

Game 12 (after a long hiatus)
Union - vRAge, Strongbox, Gutter, Harry, A&G, & Minx
vs
Farmers - Grange, Bushel, Harrow, Jack Straw, Windle, & Peck

Received Bushel kick. Over all Farmers just dominated the game. I just couldn't get out enough damage, the only model with low wounds was Bushel (Def 5+). I got her down to 1 wound but just couldn't put her in the ground. Windle was an absolute wrecking ball, just annhiliating anything and everything.
Farmer victory 13 (1 - 4) vs Union 4 (1 - 0).
MudgeBlack

Postby Clement » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:00 am

MudgeBlack wrote:Game 12 (after a long hiatus)

Farmer victory 13 (1 - 4) vs Union 4 (1 - 0).

1 Goal, 3 take outs. Windle ate a big breakfast so some of those take outs were for 3 points, not 2.
Clement

Return to Other