What is ODD?

The SciFi skirmish game by Corvus Belli

What is ODD?

Postby GamerGorman20 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:44 pm

So I see people mentioning "ODD" when referring to religious troops like the Reverend Healer that came in there Operation Icestorm kit. But no amount of googling has clarified what this apparently horrible trait is...

What is the deal with religion in the game?
GamerGorman20

Re: What is ODD?

Postby ejhopkins » Tue May 31, 2016 8:48 pm

I'm pretty new myself, but I think probably this: http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/ODD: ... ion_Device
although it doesn't seem to have anything to do with religious troops or the Reverend healer, so I could be wrong.
Eric
ejhopkins

Postby Grey Templar » Tue May 31, 2016 9:16 pm

ODD stands for Optical Disruption Device. Its a piece of equipment that gives a -6 BS to anyone attempting to doing anything to you at range(essentially anything thats not melee combat). Its basically only a slight step down from being able to turn invisible(which is what TO Camo is). the Reverend Moiras I believe have this equipment, while Reverend Healers only have Mimetism(the lowest rank of Camouflage which is -3 BS to anyone shooting at you. basically half of what ODD does)

Religion. The Catholic Church is the largest religious organization in the Human Sphere, being part of Pan-Oceana. The Papacy has relocated to Neoterra, along with the Pan-O capitol, and is no longer on Earth. When Aleph was created it caused a bit of a schism which led to large breakaway sects from Pan-O/the Catholic Church to form the Nomad nation(who views the creation of Aleph and any AI to be an affront against god). Reverend Moiras and Reverend Healer-Killers are Nomad battle clergy essentially.

With Pan-Oceana, the Church has its own military forces represented by the Military Orders sectorial. Father Knights are warrior priests who administer to the needs of the troops directly, while also leading them into battle. The various knightly orders are the military wings of the church itself. They all tend to have power armor and the best gear available. Expensive elite troops.
Still waiting on my shill money
Grey Templar

Postby GamerGorman20 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:36 am

So religion has no effect on the game other than fluff?
GamerGorman20

Postby Grey Templar » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:14 am

There is the Religious Troop rule which most of the religious units have.

http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Religious_Troop

Ordinarily, if a soldier is hit by an attack, after the attack is resolved he need to make a Guts Check(which is a Willpower check). If the check is failed, the soldier must move up to 2" in an attempt to improve his cover(or go prone if that would improve it). If he cannot improve his cover with that 2" move he instead goes prone out in the open. Normal soldiers can also voluntarily choose to fail this check instead of rolling.

Troops with V: Courage can choose to automatically pass their Guts check(they may also choose to voluntarily fail it).

Religious Troops automatically pass their guts check and cannot choose to automatically fail it. Instead, a Religious Troop may choose to take the Guts check anyway, but they have to pass the Wip check to make the 2" move instead of fail. And Religious Troops tend to have high Wip. In addition, they don't get effected by the Retreat rule.

http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Main_Page

This is the Infinity Rules Wiki. It explains rules in more depth. Army 6 actually has embedded links in the unit profiles, if you click on a rule it will take you to the wiki entry for that rule.
Still waiting on my shill money
Grey Templar

Return to Infinity