Might take this up, anything I should know in advance?

The SciFi skirmish game by Corvus Belli

Might take this up, anything I should know in advance?

Postby GamerGorman20 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:23 pm

So I recently decided to commit to buying a warmachine battlebox, but before I could some people warned me to wait for the MK3 release. So I am...

While I was at Nemos on thursday I saw some people playing infinity though and was very interested! I like the terrain aspect of the game very much!

But before I get into it, I was worried that I might be walking into the same trap I almost fell for with Warmachine regarding the big changes in the immediate future. Are there any rule changes or edition upgrades in the immediate future? If I buy a box and book today, do I need to buy a brand new book in a month? How often DO they release new content?

One question asked many ways...

Also, I am curious about how armies are built and how terrain is laid out. There were a bunch of buildings on the board yesterday, did they follow a plan? I can make a lot of great sci-fi terrain, would I be able to bring my terrain to use for variety? Do the armies follow faction rules like warmachine? or can you mix and match? How many boxes of miniatures am I going to need to buy before I have an army people will want to play against?
GamerGorman20

Re: Might take this up, anything I should know in advance?

Postby Grey Templar » Fri May 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Infinity only recently had a new edition change, so no major changes in the immediate future. New stuff does come out fairly regularly, though its mostly just miniatures to represent stuff which doesn't have a miniature yet(of which there is a lot of) or an update to an old sculpt.

With Infinity, all the rules are free here. http://infinitythegame.com/archive.php All you gain by purchasing books is the fluff. You'll want to download the N3 rulebook, and then also Human Sphere(which is an expansion book containing some additional rules)

They also have an official army builder which is also free. https://army.infinitythegame.com/

There are indeed factions, and each faction has its own sub-factions within it called Sectorials(more specialized than generic lists, less options but access to certain special rules like Link Teams).

Pan'Oceana: The Hyper-power of the Human Sphere, controlling no less than 3 entire planets with major holdings on others. An Oligarchy ruled by special interest groups. A faction with good equipment, elite knightly orders, most variety of TAGs(mechs). Sub-factions are: Shock Army of Acontecemento, Military Orders, and the Neoterrain Capitaline Army.

Yu Jing: The close rival of Pan'O. China took control over all of mainland Asia and Japan to become Yu Jing. An Empire ruled by an Emperor, elected from among several royal families. The faction that focuses most on heavy infantry. Sub-factions are: Imperial Service(secret police) and Japanese Sectorial Army(Ninjas and Samurai)

Nomads: A wretched hive of scum and villainy, also cat people. The Nomad nation exists aboard 3 massive space ships called Corrigador, Bakunin, and Tunguska. They are the outlaws, blackmarket, drug kingpins, and freaks of the Human Sphere. Lots of underhanded tricks and sneaky shenanigans. Sub-factions are: Corrigador, Bakunin, and eventually there will be one for Tunguska.

Ariadna: Descendants of the first colony ship ever sent out into space by humanity. They arrived safely on the planet Dawn, but unbeknown to them the wormhole they traveled through collapsed, isolating them from Earth for almost 200 years. Ariadnans have the least technology, but make up for it in raw skill, ferocity, and an abundant supply of Teseum(a neo-metal that is both lightweight and incredibly strong, making the best body armor and armor piercing bullets). Lots of camouflage, very cheap troops that punch well above their weight class. Instead of TAGs, Ariadna has Dog Warriors, the offspring of human women who were bitten by Antipodes during pregnancy. Antipodes are the native sentient race of the planet Dawn, a ferocious wolf-like species with hive-mind qualities. Dog Warriors appear to be normal humans at first glance, with a little more hair, but when stressed they transform into 10ft bipedal werewolves more than capable of ripping apart even a TAG with their bare hands. Ariadnans have also invented mind control devices to control packs of Antipodes as shock troops. Sub-factions are: Caledonia(scots), MRRF(french), USAriadna(USA, in space!), and eventually there will be a Kazak sectorial for the Russian troops(Spetznaz, elite heavy infantry)

Haqqislam: Moderate muslims control a few planets within the human sphere under the auspices of a Sultan. They are less technologically advanced than either Yu Jing or Pan'O, but they are extremely wealthy due to being the only supplies of Silk. A drug which enables the use of Cubes, a nearly ubiquitous implant throughout the Human Sphere which stores a person's personality and memories, and enabling someone to be resurrected in an artificial body should the physical one die. Their control over this product allows them to exert much more power than they ordinarily should. They have the best doctors and highest willpower troops in the game. They only have a single TAG, and it is the largest one in the game(the Maghariba Guard). Sub-factions are: Hassassin Bahram(assassins) and Qapu Khalqi(a mixture of Haqq and a few Nomad troops)

Combined Army: A coalition of races serving the Ur Rationalists and the Evolved Intelligence. The Ur Rationalists are a race from the dawn of time, seeking to transcend beyond the normal plane of existence like many ancient species before them. They created the EI to assist them in this goal of transcendence, and it has ruthlessly conquered and subjugated countless races to its will. The most prominent are the Morats(red space gorillas) who are peerless soldiers and the Shasvastii(frog people) who are rapid expansionists and infiltrators. The EI itself also takes to the battlefield, controlling legions of robots armed with deadly plasma weapons and fearsome Avatars, a living embodiment of the EI's will capable of mindcontrolling enemy troops. Sub-factions are: Morat Aggression Force, Shasvastii Expeditionary Force, and the Onyx Contact Force.

Tohaa: A race of artichoke faced aliens that utilized biotechnology and living symbiotic weapons and armor. Many troops are extremely durable and have extra wounds due to their symbiote armor.They are trying to use humanity to slow down and oppose the Combined Army. No sub-factions.

Alpeh: Aleph is an Artificial Intelligence created by Pan'O to serve all of humanity. The most technologically advanced of the human factions, Aleph is made up of humans who have died and been resurrected in robotic bodies to become Post-Humans who can transfer their consciousness between multiple bodies. Aleph has also managed to create entirely artificial humans, individuals who were created for specific purposes. Pan'O had Aleph recreate Joan De Arc to lead their knights into battle and inspire their troops. Yu Jing had Sun Tzu created to be a supreme tactician and warrior. Haqqislam has Saladin. Aleph has also recreated heroes of Greek Myth to lead its own forces, Hector, Ajax, Diomedes, Patrocles, Achilles, and Penthesila just to name a few. Aleph even recreated William Wallace, but he decided he liked kilts too much and joined Ariadna. The one sub-faction is Steel Phalanx, it focuses on the greek side of the faction. Heroes and Myrmidons, elite super heavy troops.

You only need a few boxes to get a force that is game worthy. Many factions can put down fewer than 10 models on the table in a 300 point game(the standard level). Miniatures are individually more expensive than most other games, usually around $10-15 each if you aren't getting a box set. I'd recommend getting the starter box for which ever faction you like the look of, get a few starter games under your belt, then expand slowly from there. Its a very very very complex game, lots of rules and each rule often has a half to a full page explaining how it works.
Still waiting on my shill money
Grey Templar

Postby GamerGorman20 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:31 pm

Gonna sound like a jerk, but which faction has this character?

http://puu.sh/p7vKO/ccd03f3c96.jpg

I uh... I kinda like the look of her. Wouldn't mind fielding an army with that kinda uniform.
GamerGorman20

Postby Grey Templar » Fri May 27, 2016 8:13 pm

That would be Nomads ;) That miniature is a Reverend Moira I believe.
Grey Templar

Postby GamerGorman20 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:46 pm

You had me at catgirls...
GamerGorman20

Postby GamerGorman20 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:49 pm

Last question before I make up my mind. I'm looking at the boxes of 3-5 minis on miniature market and I'm wondering, do I need to keep the groups as a unit? Or am I able to pick out one or two and sell the rest?

I'm not even 100% on the game and I'm already about to buy that set with the jetpack catgirl...
GamerGorman20

Postby Grey Templar » Fri May 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Miniatures are almost all run individually. The boxed sets are so you have various weapon options or in case you want to run duplicates(fairly common).

For example, the Reverend Moira box set comes with 4 Moiras. One with a Shock CCW, one that is a Hacker with a Multi-rifle, one with an HMG, and one with a Multi-Sniper Rifle.

You could sell the rest, but resale value on miniatures is typically not great, and you'll want all the miniatures so you have options or to run duplicates.
Grey Templar

Postby GamerGorman20 » Fri May 27, 2016 11:18 pm

Is there a place to buy solos that might be more cost effective?
GamerGorman20

Postby Grey Templar » Sat May 28, 2016 3:37 pm

Miniature Market is about as good as it gets.
Grey Templar

Postby GamerGorman20 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:58 pm

Yeah, I've been eyeing them. Need to find someone who wants to go in on the 2 player battle box before the 5% off coupon expires! 0_o
GamerGorman20

Postby Blackthorne » Sun May 29, 2016 10:22 am

If you like catgirls and the moiras, nomads (specifically the bakunin sectorial) would be a good place for you.

In regards to buying individual models, on the official forums there is a thread called 'chokonnit's split box' or something (link below) where you can get single minis. The cost is based entirely on demand so if it's a really popular model from a given box it'll be more but if it's a less popular model from that same box you can get great deals.

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topi ... ent-116710

The nice thing about this game is that it's very much not based on taking specific lists or models so you can pretty much include what you think looks cool and as long as it meets a few basic requirements, you can do well. The link below is to my friend in the bay who started infinity not long ago and put that theory to the test by having him as a new player play with an optimized list against an experienced infinity player who had to use randomly generated lists.

http://www.thediceabide.com/2015/12/its ... challenge/

As for terrain, yes! The more the merrier and having a variety of terrain is the best. Terrain isn't laid out in a specific way except for some scenarios that require an objective room. There are some rough ideas on how much/little to use but aside from that it's up to the players to make a table that works well. Having an asymmetrical setup with a combination of short fire lanes and long ones as well as a variety in height is pretty much all you need to do. A lot of people go for a good looking table that looks like a city block or ship interior or half of a landing pad and outpost to make the game have an even more cinematic feel.
Blackthorne

Postby GamerGorman20 » Sun May 29, 2016 2:05 pm

Good resources!

I've bought the 2p starter box and I'm currently 3D printing a bunch of airport themed buildings, hangers, landing pads, administration offices, fuel towers, and catwalks. Very excited to learn how to play!
GamerGorman20

Return to Infinity