Interested in Learning through Proxies before purchases

The SciFi skirmish game by Corvus Belli

Interested in Learning through Proxies before purchases

Postby ejhopkins » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:17 pm

I am really hoping to play some X-wing on Thrusday, but If there isn't anybody there to play with, I would be interested in learning to play infinity. The mechanics of using orders and the compact terrain really seem interesting.

I don't have any models or rulebooks or anything, so I would have to use someone else's, but would really like to proxy some stuff for a while so I can change-up the things I play with until I really get a feel for what I like before I decide to buy anything. Even then, I would probably only buy 1 or two packs for small 150 point skirmishes.

My preferred play-style is usually support based. I am always intrigued by mechanics that involve indirect combat or subversive tactics. The mechanics I would like to build upon are things like medics, hackers, robots, stealth, and other support type mechanics. Obviously I would need some assault in order to build a good squad, but I usually get more enjoyment when I can make good use of support mechanics to enhance an assault. The factions intrigue me after my initial searches are ALEPH, for the AI and rebots, Haqq for medics, and maybe combined army for somewhat unique characters.

With that said, the first models that caught my eye were the ALEPH Rebot models, so for my first game, I would like to try to build a list that utilizes them. I tried looking up how they are used, but it seems there are not a lot of resources available to me regarding list-building and the strategy involved in that. My first impression was that they can't be used "individualy" and that they are "remotes" that require other units to operate them. Anyway, I was hoping to get some pointers on how they work, and what I would need to know in as far as list-composition in order to build a useful squad.

Also, I understand the basic mechanics of orders, moving, shooting, basic stats, and modifiers from watching the tutorial videos and the official web-page, but my knowledge pretty much ends there. I have no idea about hacking, stealth, or anything like that. I have used the official army builder a little, but it's a bit confusing, and I didn't really understand what I was doing other than sifting through to find some model names I recognized and choosing weapons.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric
ejhopkins

Re: Interested in Learning through Proxies before purchases

Postby MudgeBlack » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:57 pm

To answer your question about REMs, to field (have in your list), your list must include either a hacker or a TAG. Their dependence pretty much ends there (although some hackers have support programs to enhance REMs).

I'd be happy to run you through a demo (plus the escalation league I am planning is designed to introduce and teach Infinity). Or just fill you in on whatever you have questions about. My best advice for new players is to learn the basic rules and anything that pertains to your guys and don't worry about the rest until you are a little more comfortable otherwise you just get overwhelmed.

I have Nomads and Tohaa that you are welcome to use.

Hacking is almost its own game. I suggest to any new player getting the basics (or if you are hacker reliant, pick just one or two programs to use) before you take on hacking. It is in the advanced rules section.

If you go to Corvus Belli's site you can download the rules for free.

I'll be there Thurs. I have to do a Malifaux demo but after that happy to go over things.
Damnant quod non intelegunt
MudgeBlack

Postby ejhopkins » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:54 pm

I had fun game with Conner last night. He took out all my light infantry and wounded my Father-Knight before my first turn. Fortunately, through some superior tactics and superbly executed knife attack with the last possible order available for victory, I won.

Anyway, I really had a good time. One thing I am loving about infinity is the terrain, and I want to start making stuff to leave at Nemo's. I was looking at options and really like printable glue-on foam board constructions like this:

https://waywardwarcor.wordpress.com/201 ... d-terrain/
http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topi ... te/?page=4

I was wondering if anybody has some specific stuff they would like to request or types of terrain they would like to see made. I also want to create some of the smaller decoration types of items as well (barrels, boxes, landscaping, etc...). Let me know.

Anyway, I fancy this sort of crafting much more than painting, and even if I don't really play much, would love to contribute some stuff that everyone could use. I plan on getting some miniatures soon, (even though I plan on making the terrain anyway), was wondering if anybody would be willing to do some simple paint jobs on some of models so they at least aren't just blank. Even if not, I would still like to here what kinds of terrain people would prefer to see.
Eric
ejhopkins

Postby MudgeBlack » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:23 pm

That stuff really looks good. We have some MDF terrain on the way but more terrain is always welcome. As far as painting models, you might talk to Tyson. He does great work.
So which faction are you thinking?
Damnant quod non intelegunt
MudgeBlack

Postby ejhopkins » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:40 pm

I'm leading towards Haqqislam, partly because of their heavy focus on doctors and biotech, and party because I hadn't heard of any of you guys playing them, and wanted something that you guys don't already have. I also really liked the Tuareg and Kaleel models too.

There was a guy on Reddit selling a bunch of unpainted models for half priced. I dragged my feet in deciding on my faction (wanting to try some proxies first), so I think he's sold a few of his models. I might be able to get ahold of some of them though.

He has a Lasiq, 3 Ghulam, and some Janessaris. He had a Ragik, but I think he sold it.

I've been messing around with the army builder, and came up with this list here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehix9ulrdbwggyv/298%20point%20Haqqislam%20Saladin%20Alawira.pdf?dl=0

I like the idea of the regenerating Alawira doctor and the stealthy Tuareg Hacker. I was originally trying to do 150 points, but couldn't quite get all the hacking and doctoring I wanted to. I also really like the Saladin model, and he seems like he would be pretty cool as a Lieutenant with his abilities.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehix9ulrdbwgg ... a.pdf?dl=0

My main idea behind this list was to keep my guys alive while hitting hard with beefed up Total Reaction Kaleel REM from my hackers. The repeaters should let me use my regular hacking and Assault hacking to do some interesting things without LOF. I really like the Lasiq model, and really want to see how Viral Sniper rife works in action. The regeneration Asawira Doctor and the Janissary team (with an Akbar Doctor) seem pretty cool as sort of combat medic strike teams. I don't know.

Only one game under my belt, so I may be completely off... but it seems pretty cool to me, and I guess that's what really matters right? If I can't get this deal from the guy on Reddit, it might take me a while to actually be able to field this with models, so I have a lot of time to experiment and modify to really find something fun to use.

Regarding Terrain: I actually went ahead and bought materials, and will start making a two story stackable to bring on Thursday.
Eric
ejhopkins

Return to Infinity