lizardmen

lizardmen

Postby jason » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:57 am

Here I shall chronicle my foray into the realm of lustria.

Finally decided on lizardmen as my official race for our slow grow/campaign, I'll post how my army is progressing with pictures and explanations.
For one it will give me a little more motivation to get it done, and two it might help some of the newer modelers get some ideas.
And mabey save some money on stuff you can model and paint yourself without giving to much money to 3rd party companies looking to cash in on stuff That's doable on your own.

No super secrets here, I'll explain everything openly.

So for my lizardmen I won't be using any alternative models since the current gw ones for lizardmen are the best out there, hands down .
Not many conversions will be needed, and I'll stick to the current fluff for my army background.
Paint scheme will be similar to the current gw scheme as well, there is plenty of wiggle room to work with as it is.
Most of my modeling will be used on the bases and unit fillers.
I like the Aztec theme they already have , so I'll just expand on that.

Bases will be old ruins bricks, with some viny growths, I'll focus on Aztec type ruins to tie my army together.

Ok now I have a background, color scheme and, basing all planned out its time to put it together.
jason

Re: lizardmen

Postby jason » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:28 am

ok skink priest came on his own base and it fits with my theme so that was easy.

cold one riders came with 8 riders and 10 bases so ill make unit fillers with the extra 2 bases and that will give me 10 riders essentially.
to make the bricks I used some plastic glued to the top of the base,then I engraved the brick pattern with a power engraver tool I have, pretty dang easy if you have the power tool as it saves a lot of time and money not trying to sculpt the bricks with green stuff or whatever. I will make some loose bricks and skulls with green stuff later.
I then did a light coat of elmers glue and sprinkled some sand on the base I will also use a hot glue gun to make viny growths.

I put rare earth magnets on the bottom of the bases.

and finally I glued some sheet metal from home depot onto a flat piece of plastic for the beginnings of the magnetized movement tray. (used a for sale sign as the plastic)

jason

Postby brother bart » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:02 pm

brother bart

Postby jason » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:31 pm

very cool stuff.

ok finished the cold ones and the magnetic movement tray.
green stuffed in a few loose bricks a couple skulls ect, engraved some stuff on the border of the movement tray squiggly lines and stuff.
and put a coat of smooth finish Styrofoam putty on my little brick statues that ill make into hopefully cool looking brick snake unit fillers.

jason

Postby jason » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:08 am

ok I painted all the basing stuff , the movement tray, bases, and unit fillers. Layed some base coats down and ready for highlights and finish the unit.

jason

Postby jason » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Ok update on my cold ones, movement tray and unit fillers.
added more highlights and shading to the basing and stuff, got the cold ones mostly done.
working on the tid bits and the gold next.

will do non metal metallic on my army since I think I would do the models injustice if I didn't. I learned nmm from a eavy metal painting guide called eavy metal masterclass, and I prefer the look. once I got the hang of it I can do it just as fast as metalics and I just like it better after trying both. There are guides and stuff on how to do it, it just takes practice (not that I have mastered it or anything , but I feel competitent with it).

jason

Postby jason » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:58 pm

and there finished.

jason

Postby jason » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:13 pm

Ok building some skinks like I did the saurus exept these are skirmishers so I built a roughly 1/2 inch gap in between each model

also the box comes with 24 models wich is amazing, I can strectch that out to 30 if I do 2 unit fillers per 10 man squad, the unit fillers will tie the army together as well as basing and color selection, using stone staues will keep a running theme.

jason

Postby Ozymandias » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Geez your fast! I've got my Wood Elf force based and that's about the extent of it so far...

Love the scheme and the movement trays!
Ozymandias

Postby jason » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks, the power dremel engraving tool helps, I wanted to get a semi head start so I kinda powered through it.
jason

Postby jason » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:09 pm

Not really a lizard per se but will be use on my lustria themed board. My official warhammer forrest terrain painted up.

jason

Postby brother bart » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:22 pm

That looks really great Jason!
brother bart

Postby jason » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks, after I base coated it and gave it a wash highlights took like no time at all, it is so well modeled full of textures just some simple damp side brushing, with a very large brush did the trick.

No large flat surfaces to really helps speed the painting.
jason

Postby jason » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:31 pm

Ok 4 x 4 done, will have the other section done by next month when we need it. and I traced out the gw forrest template and will make a ruins forrest out of that. that way the forrest sizes are legal out of the book or whatever.

jason

Postby CaleRob » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:59 pm

These look cool.
CaleRob

Return to Warhammer/40k