What happened to 40K?!

General forums (New Users start here)

What happened to 40K?!

Postby brother bart » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:11 am

I originally posted this in the 'Game Coordination' section for last Thursday in response to a member's request for a 40K game....I think it may have been lost in there...even considering this forum's light traffic...read below and chime in with your perspective.

Most of the people who play minis games at Nemos have one or more 40K armies at home. Why does everyone think it isnt getting table-time anymore? I, for one am a bit disenfranchised by GW in general...I've been in a bad place ever since they blew up my Warhammer World...

As far as 40K goes, I feel like the escalation of each new army (and main rules set tweaks that accommodate this) getting a huge game changing model/unit that costs an arm and a leg (cash-wise) is tiresome...The army books and meta-changes seem more and more like marketing ploys to sell the next big thing. I get that they are a business trying to sell products, but this comes at the expense of a fun, fair, and balanced game system. Also, their blatant disregard for the competitive scene by stating they 'don't care' and aren't interested in making a tournament friendly game is downright annoying. A game that has forces externally balanced with each other, and internally balanced (as far as unit costs/effectiveness) not only makes for a great competitive game for tournaments and the like...it also makes for a fantastic casual, pick-up game. In my opinion, 40K has become the farthest thing from a balanced and 'fun' game as I can imagine. The only thing that I like about it these days is that the models and fiction are really great...these used to be enough for me, but with my limited hobby/game time these days, it's just not worth it to me any more.

Still, I haven't up and sold any of my armies (yet). For some reason I still hold out hope that it will become fun and worth the time investment again...
brother bart

Re: What happened to 40K?!

Postby Grey Templar » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Yeah, GW has stopped even pretending to make a decent game. Which really highlights their shortsightedness.

I do like that super heavies and the like are part of the core rules, but if the whole game itself is flawed that doesn't make up for it.

GW needs to follow their company line. If they are actually a model company and not a game company they should outsource the game to someone who makes games.
Still waiting on my shill money
Grey Templar

Postby MudgeBlack » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:07 pm

I too really miss playing 40k. So from time to time I dig my stuff out and try playing but end up reminded why I don't play anymore. The game just stopped being fun so I play other games that are fun for me. Not to say its a bad game is just not fun for me in its current state. I love the back ground and miss putting my armies on the table but it's not going to happen anytime soon.
Damnant quod non intelegunt
MudgeBlack

the common lament Re: What happened to 40K?!

Postby sonicbunny » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:39 am

I bailed out of all things 40k in 2000. I miss my ridiculous collection of epic scale models but overall, the game had lost it's lustre for me even way back then.

Still, I LOVE the fluff, love it, wish we could have decent movies and more games... And so now they are putting out more games but damn that's a stiff price point. $130 for Betrayal at Calth, $130 for OVERKILL and I am not getting all the way back in so the excuse that they are fun core forces doesn't work for me anymore.. Still, I'm tempted. Those genestealer cultists are damn sexy models...
sonicbunny

Postby sonicbunny » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:12 pm

And... I bought Betrayal at Calth. Hopefully I can get Monique to play with me.
sonicbunny

Postby NapalmScorpion » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:54 am

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I still LOVE 40k. I definitely think 40k still has a fun "kick it with friends" vibe. I have been playing a few different escalation campaigns which have been awesome, and my friends and I get together to play random games here and there. We proxy models when we need, which helps take the sting out of GW's "Buy all" propaganda. I'm a Nids player and if you want to talk about who really got screwed with the new rules... that's Nids all over. I think if you take a more "it's just fun to get together and talk lore, mess around with friends, and consciously build balanced armies" that the game still has it's appeal. I would love to expand my gaming network and if anyone wants to play let me know!
NapalmScorpion

Postby Menelker » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:44 am

Hello!
Typically there are a few guys that are playing 40k at Nemo's on Thursday nights. Hope to see you there!
Menelker
Site Admin

Postby jason » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:38 am

I'm not going to write any game off, I was getting into 40k more recently, but to be honest war machine mk3 has my interest, the ease of dirt cheap internet purchases for the models , coupled with streamlined universal tournament rules , less models to paint, and a company that most certainly treats their customers better has my undivided interest at the moment. But you never know...:)
jason

Return to General