Blue Table Painting Scandel

General forums (New Users start here)

Blue Table Painting Scandel

Postby Grey Templar » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Thought I should spread the word about whats been going on with BTP lately. I don't like blacklisting people, but I think this is a big enough of an issue that it should be spread.

Some links for info,

(thread on dakka: morphs into a general info thread) http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 18082.page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_06d7wMO ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlpRxOxJdK8

Basically BTP has been sending out shoddy work for exorbitant prices and not fixing them.

Here is a quote from a former employee of BTP who has started blowing the whistle.

"I spent two years working at BTP until, very recently, being let go for disagreeing with Shawn and trying ti make his company money. So I want to address a few things about this situation because you covered it quite well.

1) The BTP way of painting is to get it done as quickly as possible(ironically sometimes) so quality control gets pushed aside pretty often. More often than not when a project gets behind(due to some really dumb ways of using money) Shawn will just demand it gets churned out ASAP regardless. I'd seen projects where people paid thousands of dollars for armies and stuff that even I, as a gakky painter with next to no skill, would have picked out was left untouched because "oh that's not part of that level." Entire weapons with nothing more than a simple drybrush of grey over black in a few spots would be called painted.

2) Shawn has zero ethics. He believes that he should be able to do whatever he wants, how he wants with no interference from anyone. He seriously asked our state representative when he came to visit(some bs about empowering local companies blah blah) if he would consider lowering the legal working age to 12 so he could have his kids be legally employed at his company. He believes himself entirely in the right all the time. The Dropzone Commander "studio" armies that were basically given to him for free by Dave Lewis he was trying to sell. He tried to have me sell painted Heavy Gear models to Dream Pod 9. Every model that was sent to the studio due to my work I took with me when I left because otherwise he would try and sell them despite being given to the studio as signs of good faith or for reviews and such. He once described an idea he got from a company that was a total pyramid scheme, and he thought we should implement something like it. He has some "business mentor" who's a total con-artist and feeds him bs and lies on a regular basis. He listens to motivational speeches from people who don't give two gaks about the people listening, so long as they give them money. He believes being manipulative, scheming and acting like a scam artist is the best thing for his company.

3) He will never, ever, empower someone else in that company. You may recall a chap by the name of Rob who was COO of BTP for a bit. He then, financially, fethed the company over hard. During slumps he was giving himself massive pay raises while trying to find the best way to cut everyone else's pay. Rob's actions have scarred Shawn to the point where, even though it would greatly help his company, he will never entrust someone else to run the show again. Shawn running things means he can get away with whatever he wants, and that's exactly how he likes it. Shannon should, by all means, be running that business, but because he got burned Shawn will never trust anyone with BTP; even if they are the better choice.

4)You're absolutely right that Shawn doesn't care about what the customer thinks. He thinks he knows everything there is, and yet he doesn't even know how to produce quality video content for his own YouTube channel because editing and HD "takes too long to upload." He thinks he knows everything about the industry, but he's totally oblivious to how much the gaming industry has changed in the last five to ten years. To him the customer is just a walking wallet.

And it's all a real shame too because, in the right hands, BTP could be a great company in the industry. But its so poorly run and the people who could make things better are basically scared into submission because, as I'm an example to it, Shawn will fire you if you don't bend to his every whim every second. If he suggests an idea that's completely slowed and makes no sense saying "I think we should do this other thing that we've done before and is proven to make money" instantly puts you on the Shawn Gately gak list. It's a sad state, and he'll tank that company. Worst part is; it won't be the first time."

To top it all off, Mini-wargaming has sort of "come to the rescue" by putting up this video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2hMBX8VN3k

Which basically amounts to glossing over the unethical practices BTP has been involved in and endorsing them.

MWG has also deleted and fabricated comments made by the original Chaos Dwarf customer who complained about the service he received. In addition, MWG basically asked for testimonials regarding BTP, but also said they'll only accept positive reviews.

Do not get any work done by Bluetable Painting, both for your personal protection and as a statement that their shady dealings will not be tolerated.

I would also suggest boycotting MWG for their part in this as well. Leave dislikes for the MWG video.
Still waiting on my shill money
Grey Templar

Re: Blue Table Painting Scandel

Postby Menelker » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:42 am

A lot of my clients have had work done by BTP and it has been overpriced crap. Primer showing through, drybrushing on "high end" models and everything else in those videos is what I have seen in my personal experience with them.
Menelker
Site Admin

Postby Grey Templar » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:08 pm

So apparently the Chaos Dwarf client is moving forward with a lawsuit, and due to the amount of money involved it could result in fraud charges as well.
Grey Templar

Postby anewbre » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:57 pm

I would think that a player of Chaos Dwarves would understand a little evil activity
anewbre

Postby Grey Templar » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:24 pm

It also turns out that the guy didn't even get the paint scheme he asked for.

He asked for "copious amounts of blood and gore" on his dwarves. Instead he got crappy drybrushed lava OSL.
Grey Templar

Postby AbeZS » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Saw the post on reddit the other day. Really sucks for the guy and I hope he gets his money back. Makes me extra thankful we have Tyson so close who does an amazing job.
"Living it up at the hotel California"
AbeZS

Postby MudgeBlack » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:06 pm

AbeZS wrote:Saw the post on reddit the other day. Really sucks for the guy and I hope he gets his money back. Makes me extra thankful we have Tyson so close who does an amazing job.

+Many on this. Thanks Tyson.
Damnant quod non intelegunt
MudgeBlack

Postby brother bart » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:45 am

Yeah, this just means more business for Tyson. Keep up the good work!
brother bart

Return to General